It's been pretty wet lately. And pretty unpredictably wet. ("Welcome to England" I hear you cry...indeed!) This has caused me some interesting problems like:
- Do I pack my wet weather gear when it's looking dry?
- Do I leave the office when it's raining, or wait for it to clear up?
- Do I don my wet weather gear, if I have it, before doing my commute?
- How do I manage the problem of wet kit when I've been caught out and had a soaking?
So I've been thinking about expanding my wet weather wardrobe. But in which direction?
Mostly my top-half is fine. I have a waterproof cycling jacket (but, oh for a Gore-Tex®Paclite®Shell - anyone care to donate me £130?), and your head just gets wet, that's fine.
The problem is shoes, socks, shorts and overtrousers. My overtrousers aren't cycling-specific and send water straight down into my shoes or over-shoes. Without them my shorts get sodden and I'd still get wet shoes. This might not be a bad thing if I had spare shorts. My summer gloves also get soaked and I don't have spares. The upshot of all this is that I've been getting wet, and my kit hasn't had time to dry out.
And decent wet-weather kit isn't cheap. So what do I invest in? Do I go for spare shorts? Or proper over trousers? Do I get a second pair of gloves, or put up with them as they're not too bad to wear when wet. What about waterproof socks? Shoes? 3/4 length overshorts?
Hmm...
I claim that cycling is great in lots of ways, but kitting yourself out can be an expensive chore!
No comments:
Post a Comment