Drastic Fantsatic - KT Tunstall
The catchiest of the new albums, very easy to get into. KT is a good songwriter, a very accomplished musican and singer, and she's intelligent too. We very much liked the first album and this one didn't disappoint as a follow up.
The songs are a variety of styles, there's folk, rock and roll, ballads, pop, even a hint of Latin American.
It's a great album, but I don't think it will quite have the lasting appeal of "Through the Telescope". Enjoying it for the moment though.
Vegas - Martyn Joseph
This is the album about which I'd like to say the most. I became a fan of MJ quite recently (probably after the Bush Hall gig...3 yeas ago?) and missed out on a lot of his older stuff. But he is one of my favourite musicians.
For those that don't know, he's a Welsh folk-rocker who writes about stuff that he really cares about and sings and plays with an enormous amount of passion.
This record is a bit different to some of his other stuff. MJ himself says something like "it might even make you smile". And that's true - there's a tribute to Elvis and some other nice moments, but he remains gritty, slightly angry, political, and, occasionally melancholy.
I must confess that after a few listens I'm feeling like the album doesn't have much new - it feels like a union of the last two ("Whoever it was that brought me here..." and "Deep Blue").
Song-wise examples:
- Vegas is a catchy tribute with an easy chorus, in much the same way as "This Being Woman";
- "Weight of the World" is a bit like "This Fragile World";
- "Nobody Loves You Anymore" is reminiscent of "Six Sixty Six" (though I'll avoid comparisons of George Bush and the Devil - that would be going too far);
- "The Fading of Light" seems to be an updated "Yet Still This Will Not Be";
- and "The things that we have carried here" is like "Whoever it was that brought me here..." in more than just the length of the song name.
I DO like this album. A lot. I will play it over and over. And the gig in November will be one of the highlights of my year. But I'd like to see him writing about something a bit different next time...perhaps a few elections, on both sides of the pond, will make for some more variety in the next album.
Beyond the Neighbourhood - Athlete
And the album I'll say the least about. Certainly the most difficult to get into!
Athlete's first album was a catchy, pop-rock record. The second, Wires, was more downbeat, but more mature. I still haven't quite got to grips with all of it but the music is excellent and it was worth spending time having it grow on me - there's some cracking songs on there. I suspect this third album is like the second. It's in the shadow of two much more easily accessible albums at the moment, but I will persevere.
Musically it sounds rich and intricate and I suspect there's some awesome songs on there - I've just not found them yet...or they've not found me.
Maybe more notes required in a few weeks.
No comments:
Post a Comment