Here's some of my experience with eating proper for sport.
Discovering Nutrition!
My first encounter with basic sports nutrition was when I used to play lunchtime 5-a-side when I'd hit the "brick wall" after about half an hour. Then I noticed that if I ate lunch early, BEFORE I played, I was OK. So I took to doing that. I also discovered flapjack then...if I didn't have time to eat lunch before a I went out to play a big slab of oats always did the trick.
Upping the workload
Then I moved to Swindon and started cycling to work. Only 4 miles each way but boy, I was hungry as a horse all day! I started munching cereal bars, which I guess are glorified flapjacks with lots of additives. They really fill a whole though and don't seem to be that unhealthy or...like some "energy foods"...all that disgusting. I also have a big bowl of oaty cereal before I go out. Porridge, frankly, sucks!
Long rides and recovery
I also notice that after a long ride I really need something to recover. My body craves various things at that point but basically I just cram as much sugar and water in as I can. Apple Lucozade is particularly yummy and not too sweet. Apparently you need to get a mix of carbs, fat and protein. But hey, I'm still learning.
Key facts seem to be:
- eat little and often
- keep carbs up
- take good food (oats, bananas, etc) when you're out exercising
- have regular intake of water
- make sure you eat well to recover too
No comments:
Post a Comment